My latest ANIMATION REEL

Friday 5 March 2010

To show off or not to show off

Which means, since I have got my computer fixed, I can start working on my animation and hopefully no more technical issues. Damn you, machines! can't really rely on them.
Now what's in my mind...right! let's talk about applying acting in animation. I have been taking an acting class for the last couple of months and there are two types of acting.
1. un-natural acting, showing off performance, like poem reading perhaps? Imagine shakespeare's films. I think this is probably the thing we've been doing so far and probably most of us doing that especially in demo reel...
Exagerrated expressions and cartooney style which is fine for entertainment.

2. The natural acting technique which is used by most actors, is developed by Konstantin Stanislavski. Now, this is very difficult. You have to believe your character, how to be in the moment, what is the motivation of a character, what's the character's background, how is the character's feeling at that time, objectives, obstacles, etc. They key is to "Believe your character and be in the moment" I also learn that characterization is very important, without this actor will struggle to act OR they will simply make things up. In animation, if you get the character's personality, etc it's sooooooo much simpler to animate!

Imagine the number 1 is Shakespeare's films and the number 2 is Godfather. In video games, I think the number 1 is the cartooney animation and the second one is the mocap animation. So, how do you animate? Which one is more interesting? Cartooney or realistic? Do you animate to entertain or to tell story? or does it really matter all this?

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment